Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blog #5 Holden VS Igby

Out of these two characters, the one I believe is most true to himself is Igby for many reasons. For one, both Holden and Igby had the plan to run away from everything, and Igby is the one who actually followed through with doing so. Holden seemed like he wanted to do it so much more then Igby, but I believe Holden let his little sister change his mind, while Igby didn't let anything stop him from doing what he wanted to do. Another thing is that Holden talked a lot about people being phoney because they only say things that people want to hear. I beleive Holden was guilty of this many times througout the novel, and didn't really keep to his own morals. Igby always spoke his mind even if he didn't know the person and didn't care what they would think of him, so I think Igby was confident in himself and how he thought to speak how he always does to anyone. Holden was always worried about what his parents would say to him or think about him, and didn't want them to find out that he was leaving when he went home to visit. I think Holden cared about what his parents think of him and if they had caught him in the house, he probably would have changed his mind about leaving. Igby was actually caught running away by DH and it still didn't stop him. It seems like the main point of the novel Catcher In The Rye and the movie Igby Goes Down, was both of the characters running away, and as you can see by the end of the novel and movie, which one of the characters were actually true too themselves, and which one ended up in a hospital, heading back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment